On UKArt we had a 12 days of Christmas swap, in which all participants made 13 presents and got back 12. I made covers for hard-backed flip notebooks, which can be refilled as necessary.
I made the covers using both my sewing machine and embellisher.
Firstly I cut some pelmet Vilene to approximately the right size, allowing for the end pockets to insert the pads in. I then used various wools, threads, silk ties (wonderful source of patterned silk!) with the embellisher to make the basic fabric.
When this was done I used my sewing machine, with threads to enhance the basic fabric to add decorative elements, straight lines , some free embroidery and on some I stitched on additional fibres.
Next I choose some lining fabric to co-ordinate and attached it using wonder under. I then cut the piece to size, and finished off with two rows of satin stich all the way around. I then turned the ends in to make the pockets and stitched these using satin stitch.