Monday, 29 August 2011

Mixed Media Canvas


First time I have tried anything like this , but the urge took me and I just went with it.


                           Mixed Media Canvas


I started by roughly stitching scrim to Pelmet Vilene, and then adding  strips of torn wallpaper. This was painted with Golden liquid acrylic , Transparent Pyrrole Orange.When this was touch dry I added a coat of Nickel Azo Yellow, and when dry just a few touches of Outside the Margins 22 Karat Gold spray (added with a brush.) The silk carrier rods were also coloured with this.

I stitched the carrier rods to a piece of brown silk, just enough  to hold them in place. I used some thick silk thread, which I stitched with a ‘broken’ zig- zag stitch, working two at a time, and moving from one to the other without cutting the threads (these were cut later).  I then added the orange silk threads to the scrim and wallpaper background, using a zig-zag stitch. The silk rods were stitched to the background and the whole piece was then attached to a canvas, painted with Windsor and Newton raw umber acrylic.


Friday, 26 August 2011

More Alphabet ATCs



K and L…..kiss and love.

Alpha KAlpha L

K, background painted silk, image printed onto painted fine fabric. Kiss stamped using Stazon. Added some ‘pearls’ and mounted on card.

L, Background coloured fabric, cut up threads covered with organza and randomly stitched to hold into place. Zapped with the heat gun, and where the organza had shrunk away, free machining.

Piece of folded fabric stitched to one side and shell hearts added. Letters made from foam, painted,  heated and a stamp impressed into them. They were then stitched to the background. Mounted on card.

Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Toilet Paper


Well who knew that you could make art from toilet paper. My friend Adrienne ran a swap to make embellishments using toilet paper.

It is a really simple process, you just need to be selective with the stamps you use. Deeply etched and with an obvious outline are the best for this technique.

Select your stamps, place 3 or 4 pieces of toilet paper on the stamp, wet with a sprayer and press carefully into the stamp, pressing into all the crevices. When dry (I left mine overnight) remove from the stamp, and colour with whichever medium you wish.


                              Toilet Paper Embellishments

Tip In Pages


I organised a swap for Tip-In Pages (A5 size) which had to be based on the Teesha Moore style. I was hoping that participants would sign up 3 times as they had for previous tip-in swaps, but no such look, so it became a one for one swap.

I haven’t done anything in this style for ages, and certainly not in this size, so I was apprehensive about tackling it. I don’t know if I’ve managed the Teesha style or not, but I had enormous fun making these pages.

                      08-11-Teesha Moore Style tip in Page 1 

                       08-11-Teesha Moore Style tip in Page 2 

Please go look up Teesha if you are interested in how these were done, she explains it so much better than I ever could.

Yet again ATCs

          2011 -08- Beauties 12011 -08- Beauties 2 

                                2011 -08- Beauties 3


The theme was ‘Beauties’. First one was made on a piece of hand coloured fabric, which I stamped after I’d placed the picture. A small amount of organza was placed on the right side and attached, with the sequins and beads. I gave it a very quick blast with the heat gun, but decided not to go any further with that idea!

Second one was a piece of painted silk, placed on some pink velvet (my old caravan curtains!), and an ink-jet printed picture. A piece of lace, a dictionary definition  and a couple of small flowers finished it off. Both were then satin stitched around.

The third one is not stitched. I fell across this picture of a beautiful old woman and really wanted to use it in some way. The background is a piece from a National Geographic treated with Citra-Solv. I mounted this onto black card and added the quote. It still needed something else so I stamped a little with Stazon, and attached the sequin and bead. Of the three I think this is my favourite.

Monday, 8 August 2011

Rusted Fabric Postcard 2

This was made from the remaining fabric from the one below. This time I added a silk flower, using a die cut and my Wizard machine, beads and sequins and the stitching was done using one of the set stitches on my machine.

Rusted Fabric Postcard

This was made for a swap, with the theme of ‘Rust’
I had already made the print blocked fabric, and decided to use it for this project. Ages ago(like 18 months!) I had bought a rusting kit from Sarah Lawrence, and actually remembered I had it lol.
I stamped on the fabric using the acrylic wax, and then added the rusting powder and white vinegar, and left it to dry overnight.
I used various threads to free machine stitch , using straight and zig-zag stitch.
The embellishment was cut with the soldering iron, using 4 pieces of organza and a couple of metal embellishments to cut around.
I added  a little some hand sewing,( a few knots only), some beads  and finished with satin stitch around the edges.