Monday, 31 October 2011

Playing with fabrics

Last week I decided to have a play with fabrics and my embellisher. I dragged out lots of fabric bits in blues and greens and then got out the embellisher. Oops, I had a problem, my foot control was not working, and there was an ominous rattle when I shook it. So no embellisher, I decided that I would have to sew instead.

This is what I did :random stitchingsI randomly stitched bits of fabric together, using different stitches and either green or blue thread. I stitched on some thick threads too.

I then decided to add some coloured copper curls and to cover the whole piece with some blue organza, which  was attached using the darning foot and free stitching.


                                   covered with enamelled copper curls and blue organza,


Here is what I did with some of the piece:


                         KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA


Beaded inches , using jewels and a couple of circular paper clips, which I hand stitched around. I hand stitched leaves and stems for the flower jewels. I attached them to pelmet Vilene, which on reflection was a little to thick, as I couldn’t stich around the edges. To neaten them I added some cord, which I attached with white glue.

I also made these:


I hope those who receive these in a swap will like them.


Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Alphabet ATCs–O and P


Latest alphabet swap ATCs.


O is for Opals embossing powders. These are nice thick crystals, which are not brittle when used to make tiles. I used black for the first two layers, and then sprinkled different colours for the last layer. Whilst it was still hot, I stamped into it with a Tim Holtz stamp. I  then added the sunflower to finish it off.



P is for Pear. I stamped the pear onto a piece of dyed cotton and attached it to the same dyed cotton as a background. The word pear I hand stitched (!) using a simple chain stich. The rest of the stitching was done by machine, with the thick thread in the bobbin (ie stitched from the back). I mounted the whole lot onto a piece of pelmet vilene and zig –zag stitch around it. To finish of  I painted on a little Jo Sonja’s Gold dust for subtle highlights.



Sunday, 23 October 2011

Conjoined ATCs

For this swap we had to make 3 ATCs that were joined together in some way. This is what I did.

                        Joined ATCs

Proverb ATCs

Three ATCs I made for a swap.


Proverbs 1Proverbs 2Proverbs 3 closedProverbs 3 open

Odd Sized Art


Not really an odd size, but Pauline very kindly sent me some plastic holders that were sized approx. 6.5 cms x 13.5 cms, so I arranged a swap to utilise these. Each participant would receive a holder back, along with her ‘odd sized’ art.

Here are the pieces that I made for this swap. I think we will be doing it again in the new year, as we did not do backs.




Odd size6Odd size 1Odd size 2Odd size 3Odd size 4Odd size 5

These were really great fun to do.

Thursday, 13 October 2011

Silk Tie Phone Case


                              Embroiderd silk phone case - made from a tie



This was made from a silk tie I picked up in a charity shop. I took it apart and there is a LOT more fabric in a tie than I realised!

I cut out a pattern , backed the silk with a medium vilene , and did some random stitching with a Maderia metallic thread.  I then used bondaweb to attach a silk lining. I cut around the whole thing to get the correct size, folded it , and then stitched around the sides and edges of the flap.  The closure gave me some problems, but eventually I settled on a pop –fastener.

Luckily it fitted the phone it was intended for Smile


ATCs with Moveable Parts–Part 3



                      Moveable Parts 3

These were made using a stencilled moulding paste background. The stamp is one I have had for ages, not sure where it came from though.

ATCs with Moveable Parts–Part 2


                       Moveable Parts 2

I had the background for these ATCs in my stash. They’d been made for a different swap, but I changed my mind(not unusual!) They were stamped, and embossed using Distress embossing powders.

The gears are diecuts, which I coloured using Viva Ferro Paint (Iron). They were then attached with brads and the words printed on my Dymo machine.


ATCs with moveable parts



                           Moveable Parts 1


I entered this swap twice, but as it was partnered my designs for each were very similar.


The background for the 1st one was made from canvas, to which I’d added papers, tissue, paints and stamping. The heart shapes was cut using a Cuttlebug die. I stamped the image on some toning card and then stamped the words on the same card. The cut out heart was added with a brad, and finished off by edging with gold paint. The whole card was backed with pelmet vilene and machine stitched around.

The 2nd one was made with card, and a small piece of sparkling organza was placed between the 2 hearts.

Autumn Colours ATCs




                       10-11 Colours of Autumn 

The background of all three ATCs was made from a piece of painted cotton fabric, covered with organza and then free embroidered to hold in place.Using the heat gun, the organza was  burnt away in places. Skeleton leaves were added and machine stitched on. Sequins and beads were added to bring a bit of glitz into the design.. They were backed with pelmet vilene and machine stitched around the edges.


More ATCs for the alpha swap

M and N

        Alpha M      AlphaN

Marigold background was an embellished piece that was in my stash. I added some scrim and stamped onto a piece of alcohol inked card. Marigold was hand written onto a piece of coloured pelmet vilene.


Numbers was embossed silver tape, stuck onto card (2 layers) and put through the Wizard and the coloured with alcohol inks. The individual numbers were made in the same way and attached with brads.