Sunday, 12 September 2010

More Textiles

A Post-card holder book.

Ages ago I had bought several damaged photo albums, meaning to utilise them for gifts or swaps. Well, that day actually arrived this year. This was made as a birthday gift for a friend. I used a combination of embellishing, fabric and stitching. The ties were made of sari ribbon (the purplish colour) and stitched around the whole book, under the embellishments. The embellishment on the front is made from either polymer clay or air dry clay. The picture of the lady was printed onto printable cotton.

Two needle cases. The blue/purple one was made by embellishing various threads onto pelmet vilene. This was then embellished again using the fabric I used for the lining, picture three. I then couched (see I'm even getting to know the right terms for this stitching lark!) the silver thread on, lined it and stitched around the edges. I added a polymer button from my stash and silver thread to make the closure. The inside 'pages' are made from black felt stitched into place.

The black/white/cream was made using pieces of patterned fabric embellished onto pelmet vilene, and some bits of it were covered and embellished with bits of nylon lace. I then machined stitched the pattern, added the lining as before and satin stitched around the edges. The closure is made from a button from my stash and some black sheer ribbon. The inside 'pages' are again black felt.

This started out as a piece of sateen curtain lining, which was coloured with distress inks. I used a texture plate with a fabric crayon to give me a pattern to follow. Using a backing of felt or pelmet vilene (can't remember which) I stitched over the lines using a heavy cotton thread. I then 'scribbled in the shapes using a heavy gold thread.This was lined with some of the fabric, and satin stitched around the edges. The fastening was made using a polymer button and some of the thick cotton thread. The inside pages were stitched into place and I added a few beads to finish it off.

No comments: