Monday 16 May 2011

Decorated Box

 

I signed up for a swap for which I had to decorate a box. Searching through my stash I found a hexagonal  plain wooden box, which I though would be ideal. Before I started I removed the hinges.I the

I decided to cover it with metal, or rather metal tape. For the outside of the box, I cut cardboard into the shapes I needed. One for the top, 6 for the sides of the lid , and six for the sides. I covered these with two or three layers of metal tape, which I brayed to get creases out. I ran ran it through my Wizard, using a Cuttlebug embossing folder. I stuck the pieces on using Golden Regular Gel.

I then covered all the inside with a couple of layers of tape, and ran around it with a metal embossing tool.

I then coloured it with Alcohol Inks, a mixture of Denim, Meadow and Sailboat Blue.

 

                         005

 

               002

 

      For the inside of the lid and the bottom I found a piece of velvet in a contrasting colour. I cut this out to shape together with a thin wadding and zig-zagged stitched around the edges. All stuck down using the Golden Gel.

 

                      001

 

I covered the bottom with normal black felt, and replaced the hinges , which I had toned down with the same alcohol inks used to colour the box.

Hope my swap partner likes this. I enjoyed making it for her.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Beautiful, I love it! The recipient is very fortunate.

Unknown said...

This is an amazing box - a real treasure